Monday, December 8, 2008

Getting Sick, Bouncing Back

On Saturday I woke up with a sore throat, on Sunday the aches started and by Monday I was officially sick. I went to the doctor and got an antibiotic, cough syrup and a decongestant, I had my first post weight loss surgery upper respiratory infection. In the past I usually feel better within twenty four hours of taking an antibiotic. I took my first one Monday night and expected to feel better by Tuesday, it didn't happen.

I have learned that I can no longer take extended release medications. They work very well for about three or four hours and then I have twelve hours until the next dose. I couldn't sleep at night because I was coughing so badly and the medicine would only give me three or four hours of relief. I also discovered that the antibiotic Omnicef is no longer nearly as effective for me as it once was. I kept feeling worse and worse, until Friday I couldn't take it anymore and called my doctor crying about what misery I was in. She gave me three different cough medications and the antibiotic Levaquin. The Levaquin did the trick and I started feeling better on Saturday morning. I have a nagging cough that the doc says it may take a few weeks to get over.

That's the good news. The bad news is I'm exhausted. Last week I could barely eat, eating food made me feel sick and I had a hard enough time getting in all my liquid. Now I'm eating again but I'm tired, in that bone weary sleep for a week kind of way. It is a reminder that my body is different now and I can't just keep moving and pushing until I feel better. While I feel really good most days, I don't have any energy reserves, something simple that I might have once pushed through can knock me on my butt for a week. It may not always be this way, but for now I'll take this as a warning and be thankful I wasn't really sick. I rarely take a sick day, but I might have to take it as a sign that I need to slow down and relax when I don't feel well. Relax....that's a new concept for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment