Saturday, November 8, 2008

Why weight loss surgery.

I think there is still a definite bias against people who choose this surgery. As if we are somehow failures because we couldn't get control of our weight on our own, that if we were somehow more dedicated, or tried harder that we would be able to lose weight. Is that true? Maybe, but I do know that i've been on one diet or another for the last 15 years and nothing worked, my battle with my weight was something I could not win on my own. I needed to bring in reinforcements.

I realized I had a problem when I started taking myself out of pictures, I didn't want to be in photos. I love pictures, I am the family photojournalist, I can count on one hand the number of pictures of me that exist from the last two years. I always offer to take the picture and I am in them only when I am forced. I felt like I was disappearing from my history.

Some will still question my decision, some will still see it as unnecessarily risky and that's ok. I've been judged for my weight most of my life, it seems ironic that there will now be some who judge me for the way I choose to lose it.

For once in my life, I feel as if I am on the path to success with my weight. I have made this decision carefully, I have done the research, weighed the risks and decided that the risks to my health if I stayed this way were much greater than the risks to my health that came with the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment