Monday, November 24, 2008

3 week follow-up

I had my three week follow up with the doctor today and everything is going fine. My incisions are healing nicely and I'm down 48 pounds from my official weight when I left the hospital. (I gained 8 from the fluids while I was in there). Eating is going well, I'm taking it slow and I'm feeling much more positive about my progress.

What I like so far:

Mint herbal tea (for some reason it is the easiest beverage for me to tolerate) I have tried lots of other things and none of them go down as easy with the tea. I started out drinking crystal light but I don't feel great when I drink it, so for now I'm sticking with the tea. I used to love plain water and right now it makes me feel sick when I drink it, I'm not sure of the reasons behind that but I'm going to go with what feels good.

Seafood, so far all kinds of seafoods seem to be going down easy. I made scallops marinated in lime juice, and I've had lobster tail, shrimp, fake crab and tuna. No problems with any of them. Good thing I loved seafood before the surgery. Jeff wishes I would lay off the lobster tail though.

Tonight I made Zucchini Ricotta bake, basically you make it like lasagna but replace the noodles with zucchini. I may never eat real lasagna again. (sorry honey)

I can't drink milk but I can have yogurt, butter and cheese without a problem. It is possible the lactose intolerance was a passing issue, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

I have also been able to eat salad, deli meat and cheese, Cobb lettuce and field greens and my favorite food olives.

What I haven't liked:

One night I decided to have some three cheese mashed potatoes and a chicken finger. Bad Idea, I'm not sure why the potatoes didn't' agree with me but they made me feel really ill. The chicken also didn't go down well, I think it will be a while before I try them again.

Hamburger, I went out to Red Robin with Jeff for his birthday and the burger was too much for me. When I met with the doctor today she said lots of people have problems with hamburgers early on, so I think next time I'll stick with something easy like soup.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. Other than the occasional cracker I have eaten next to no carbs since the surgery. It doesn't make sense to make mashed potatoes for myself. The only carbs I have had are really those that are included in the veggies that I've eaten. That might be contributing to my rapid weight loss, but whatever it is I don't want to mess it up.

I've gotten a few requests for pictures. I will be taking one month pictures this weekend and will post them on the blog. Once I do that I will probably make the blog private, if you read it email me and I will send you an invite so you can continue to read it once it goes private.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to receive the pictures!! It's been a few days since this blog entry...everything still going ok??

    ReplyDelete